Monday, December 08, 2008

The Season - Easy Lace Cookies


One thing I have to make to put me in the mood for the holiday is Lace Cookies.
I don't know where I got this recipe from, or how many times I've changed it, but I love these cookies. I'll make them soon.

Easy Lace Cookies

1 stick Butter unsalted (or I use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, they are vegan and Gluten Free. And the paper they are packaged in are recyclable in my area, unlike the plastic tubs.)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup GF Oats (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats, it's the only kind of gluten free oats I could find around here, I've tried other GF oats I've tried that I liked more.  Bob's just aren't as high a quality as I think they should be.)
1 Tbs GF all purpose flour mix (I used Beth's, by Gluten Free Pantry)
1 tsp GF Baking Powder (I used Featherweight, by Hain)
1 tsp GF Vanilla Extract (I used Trader Joe's Tahitian this time)
1/4 tsp salt

*** I used to use quick oats in this recipe. When I tried this with Bob's Gluten Free Oats they are so big the cookies didn't turn out looking as lace like, so I put the oats in a little at a time in the food processor and just made them a little smaller.  Don't process them too much or you will just have dust.

-Melt butter, fold in oats, sugar, and vanilla. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and mix well.
-Drop rounded teaspoons of cookie batter about 3 inches apart onto foil. Spread slightly.
-Bake at 350 for 8-11 mins depending on how brown you like your cookies.
-Bake cookies on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil and coated with butter flavored
cooking spray.
-let cool on aluminum foil before attempting to remove. Cookies will spread as they cook.
Expect only about 6 cookies on each sheet. (you can reuse aluminum foil once if you are careful but only once)
Makes 40 cookies.


This year I can't get in the spirit of the season. I keep trying but so many things keep getting me down. Now more than ever before every where I go I find people being so selfish. I feel so drained.

When I heard about the man in NY who was trampled to death in Walmart on Black Friday I was horrified. I decided then that in honor of Jdimytai Damour, the 34 year old Walmart employee who was killed, and all the other people who have been hurt because of people's pure selfishness over this Holiday, I will not be giving gifts this year. I will be donating an hour of my time to a local charity for each gift I would have given.

We normally don't give a large number of gifts anyway. We believe in giving all year long. During the holiday we try to give to the underprivileged to let them know someone cares. Depending on what we can afford we do different things, we may pick an angel off a tree and buy gifts, or we will adopt a family to buy for, one year all I could do was bring gloves to the homeless man on the corner. These are the things that make me happy on Christmas. I feel like I might be giving someone a reason to believe in man kind. A reason to believe in that jolly old fat man. : ) I try to do more of this all year long, but people seem to be much more receptive to it this time of year.

I believe in the spirit of Christmas. I'm one of those big kids who still believes in Santa.
My wish for everyone this year is to feel that spirit. The love for your fellow man. Learn the love you can feel by giving to someone you don't even know. (even if they don't know it)

Have a happy holliday.
Enjoy your days with your family and friends.
I hope you will always feel the magic.

1 comment:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I always have loved lace cookies. Never made the oats version though. Well, not yet anyway. ;-) Thanks for the tip on putting them through a food processor for just a little bit!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Love your About Me on your sidebar!

Best,
Shirley