Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Orange Basil Chicken


I'm participating in What's for dinner Wednesday? visit the Gluten Free Homemaker for links to more great ideas.

I bought 3 split chicken breast for under $3 recently so this meal is a deal!



Here's what went in the Ziploc bag to marrinate:

1 small onion chopped
1 shallot chopped (I love shallots, a little like an onion a little like garlic..perfect)
I had some Trader Joes Orange Muscat Champagne Vinagar so I put some of that in there (the first time I used rice vinegar, about 1/4 cup)
some olive oil - I didn't measure - enough to coat the chicken (I put this in the bag first)
about a cup of OJ
and some fresh basil (I just grabed what my little plant could spare and squezed so the leaves would produce some oil and threw them in.)
Oh, and I cut up an orange I had and zested half of it and threw it in but I didn't do this the first time I made this.

You can marinate this all day or just an hour. If you do it longer it is good baked, shorter does good on the grill. I like it grilled either way. But I just like grilled!!

I'm serving this with a green salad with my Orange Muscat Champagne Vinaigrette (you can find on my Tab section) it's a favorite. and a side of rice.

7 comments:

Linda said...

That sounds great. I love the way you toss in the basil. Adding the orange and zest sounds like a great idea.

Babyfro said...

My husband loves orange chicken. I'm sure he wouldn't argue if I asked to try out this recipe. Sound delicious.

Gina said...

Great idea! The orange zest sounds delicious. I can always use new ideas for marinades - I rarely do the same thing twice!

glutenfree4goofs said...

I love a deal, sounds good I can "picture" it! :)
Jessie

Marlow said...

I LOVE shallots too! I'm so glad I ran across your blog! I live in Wilmington right now but am moving to the triangle in less than 2 weeks!! I just got a job in Durham! We'll have to have a blogger meet up! (Somewhere gluten free of course)

Melanie (Allergy Family) said...

It sounds delicious. Not sure if my dh would go for it. I would try it out on a day when he has to work late, lol.

Brian said...

This sounds delicious. I love trying different marinades with chicken. Thanks