Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I made Broccoli Cheese Soup today.  It was pretty good, better than I've had in some restaurants, I know sometimes that's not saying much, but really I liked it.  I like my soup chunky and when I first tried this soup I didn't puree any of it and the texture just wasn't right.  So I decided to puree about half of it and then it was much better.  So it's really up to you how much you want to puree.  I like some chunkiness to mine, but it really needs to have some of it pureed to get the right smoothness to it.





This picture was taken before I pureed any of the soup.
I melted my slice of the cheese into soup too.
(actually 2 slices for this bowl because this is 2 servings)




The soup was satisfying.  And pretty tasty too.  My husband doesn't like Broccoli Cheese Soup so I made this while he wasn't at home.  I made a pot big enough for 4 servings (a little over a cup each, the photo above is in a big bowl, it holds 4 cups all the way to the top.) and there wasn't any left by the end of the day.  I just can't believe I ate the whole pot throughout the day!

Ingredients

4 cups chopped broccoli frozen - cooked
Yukon gold potato - small to medium - cooked
2.5 Tbs Red Onion finely chopped (I think you could use more of this, but this was all I had on hand)
2 cloves chopped garlic
grape seed oil - 2 Tbs (just enough to saute onions and garlic in)
1 Cup Chicken Broth
2-3 Tbs neufchatel cheese
1 slices 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese
a little 2 % milk to make as soupy as you want (I used about 1/4 cup)



I used some frozen broccoli, because that's what I had, this recipe would be great for left overs.
I used a package of Bird's Eye Steamfresh Frozen Broccoli and cooked as directed.
I cooked a small to medium sized potato .  I just cut it up and cooked it in the microwave, then I smashed it with the potato masher.  I only had a russet, but I think a yukon gold potato would give a better texture.
While these were cooking I sauteed 2.5 Tbs of red onion finely chopped and 2 cloves of chopped garlic in just enough grapeseed oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  When the garlic and onions started to scorch I put in some chicken broth.  (I kept adding chicken broth throughout cooking, I used about a cup of chicken broth all together.)
At this time I added the mashed potato and blended thoroughly.
I then smashed up the broccoli some with the potato masher.
I added this to the mixture with more chicken broth.
I added 3 Tbs neufchatel cheese.  (You could use cream cheese or non-fat cream cheese, this would change the nutritional facts)
I added a 1 slice 2% sharp cheddar cheese to the top of each bowl.


By adding the cheese to the top you don't  need as much cheese to get more taste. And I think I might add more veggies in the soup next time.  You would get more flavor and have more nutrition.  I think some cooked carrots and pureed celery would add a very good flavor.

I made my own Chicken broth, but you can buy your own.  I was actually making the stock as I was making this soup so the broth didn't have as much flavor as it would later.  But I really wanted to make the Broccoli soup right then!

I've never seen a Broccoli Cheese recipe with Neuchatel or Cream Cheese in it, but it made a nice smoothness to it without adding cream.  I was happy with it.  And I was much happier with the Calories, Fat, and Sodium.  I'm also on a low sodium diet so I have to really watch it and cheese has a lot of sodium.

**I posted this recipe over at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays 1/26//2010
**Run on over there and check out some more Slightly Indulgent Recipes!!

I plugged all the recipe information into the recipe calculator at sparkpeople.com to find out the nutritonal facts. 


Nutrition Facts


  4 Servings



Amount Per Serving


  Calories
283.4

  Total Fat
16.4 g


  Saturated Fat
6.5 g


  Polyunsaturated Fat
5.2 g


  Monounsaturated Fat
2.0 g

  Cholesterol
29.3 mg

  Sodium
327.0 mg

  Potassium
678.9 mg

  Total Carbohydrate
20.4 g


  Dietary Fiber
7.2 g


  Sugars
5.1 g

  Protein
16.8 g


  Vitamin A
57.5 %

  Vitamin B-12
0.5 %

  Vitamin B-6
24.3 %

  Vitamin C
253.2 %

  Vitamin D
0.0 %

  Vitamin E
17.9 %

  Calcium
32.0 %

  Copper
5.8 %

  Folate
51.8 %

  Iron
10.1 %

  Magnesium
10.6 %

  Manganese
31.1 %

  Niacin
6.6 %

  Pantothenic Acid    
6.7 %

  Phosphorus    
16.1 %

  Riboflavin
16.2 %

  Selenium
6.7 %

  Thiamin
12.2 %

  Zinc
5.9 %






*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

2 comments:

Mikki Black said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog today. This soup looks yummy, but I've never really had any good successes with cheesy soups.

Developing Your Human Resources Skills said...

This is great! I'll make one like this tomorrow. Thanks