Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Quick Noodle Soup

We've been eating soup a lot at our house lately, 
I've had a lot of variations on Quick Noodle Soup Try #2 for lunches.
So I thought I'd share this with the What Can I Eat That's Gluten Free? Soup Challenge 
be sure to link over there for more great soup recipes.



A Quick Noodle Soup Try #1







Remember when you used to eat Ramen Noodles?  Those flavored noodles you could buy in different flavored packets for really cheap?  Oh, yes, those got many of us through college.  But that was before we knew.  Before we knew we couldn't eat Gluten!


Every once in a while I want a quick soup will Ramen Noodles, especially if I don't feel good.  I just want to grab a packet of those noodles and throw in what ever is in the fridge to add some substance and have a nice warm noodle soup.  So I was excited when I saw Thai Kitchen's Rice Noodle Bowls.  No, they aren't as cheap as Ramen Noodles, but I thought, they might hit the spot anyway.

They come in their own little bowl and everything (this did not make my eco-friendly side happy, I would much rather dump all the stuff in my own bowl instead of using a bowl once and throwing it away, but I'm giving these noodles a shot here.).  You add the hot water and you wait for the noodles to get soft.
While I waited I looked in the fridge and decided that the left over broccoli from last night would be perfect to add to this Roasted Garlic flavored Thai Noodle Bowl, so I warmed up my broccoli in the microwaved and checked on my noodles.  The said time had elapsed but the noodles were still not soft, so I waited some more.  And I waited.  I warmed up the noodles concoction in the microwave to make sure the water was hot enough and waited some more.  Well, the noodles got a little softer, edible.  But they did not look like the pretty soft noodles in the picture on the box, nor did they fill up the water like they did on the picture.  I was disappointed.  No Quick Noodle Soup Here.

Quick Noodle Soup Try #2



Now this soup was oh so good.  But it took a lot more work to make it.  Well, not really.  I threw some Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock in a pot, just enough for a large bowl of soup.   I use Kitchen Basics Stock because not only is it Gluten Free! but you can get it with NO Sodium added! and it is wonderful.  I added Cellophane Noodles, I didn't even soak them like you are supposed to, I let them soak in the stock right on the stove until they were almost transparent.  (for those of you who don't know, cellophane noodles are made from mung beans and are naturally gluten free).  You can find them in the Asian section of your grocery store.  Then I threw in some left over roasted vegetables and chicken.
And that's it!   The flavor from the stock and the veggies were enough.  Frankly the flavor from the stock would have been enough if I would have just wanted chicken noodle soup, or just noodle soup.


This is what Cellophane noodles look like before you cook them:

I just grabbed a hunk off and cooked them up, it doesn't take long, and they are pretty cheap.  As you can see they are white before you cook them and they turn pretty transparent after you cook them.  I really like them.  You can get Mung Bean Noodles in different sizes but then I don't think they call them Cellophane noodles.  I'm not sure though, I've only used these.

And here's what Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock looks like:

They also have other Stocks available.  Here's their website. http://www.kitchenbasics.net/   They make good stuff.

I hope you have a good quick noodle soup sometime soon!  I know I'll be having more now that I know how easy it can be to make it!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I miss the simplicity of ramen dinners and blue boxes of mac and cheese.
I'm not a huge fan of the Thai Kitchen stuff; I prefer to make my own (although I do love the Pad Thai, which makes enough to feed me 3x). They do make some of the "ramen-like" packages of soup/noodles that don't come in the bowls...I've seen them before at the store occasionally. I will grab some when they're on sale, and I like to add my own veggies and meat to supplement for quick fix meals.

I've been poking around and I like your blog :) Lots of great recipes I'm bookmarking to try!!

Linda said...

I haven't tried those noodles in a long time. I'll have to look for them. Thanks for the soup ideas and for participating in "What can I eat that's gluten free?"

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I haven't liked the Thai Kitchen soups and dishes alone, but maybe it with your ideas, I'd try them again. Otherwise, I'm looking for the cellophane noodles at the Asian store next time I go. :-)

Shirley

Wendy said...

Shirley, I love the cellophane noodles! and they make the bean noodles in different thicknesses so you don't have have them so thin if you don't like it.