Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Mexican Hamburger and Potato Casserole

I had too many potatoes and needed to use them before they went bad so I decided to use them in dinner tonight.  I saw on the Gluten Free Homemaker's blog that her What Can I Eat That's Gluten Free? Carnival this week had a Casserole challenge, so that inspired me to use my potatoes in a casserole!  I don't usually make casseroles because it's just me and the hubby here and casseroles usually make so much food we end up eating the same food for a week.  So I don't have many casserole recipes and I started browsing the internet for inspiration.  Truthfully, I didn't see much, they all seemed way too heavy, and few had potatoes.

Finally, I came across a few pages of casseroles on About.com.  After reading many of them I came up with this one.  It's a lot like one of the ones I read, but now I can't find it so I'm afraid I can't point you to the original.

Mexican Hamburger and Potato Casserole

1 pound very lean hamburger meat
1 large onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic minced
1 cupped chopped celery
1 15oz can crushed or pureed tomatoes
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
about 2 cups canned or frozen corn
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (or the Mexican cheese mix)
5 medium potatoes washed well and sliced thinly

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Preheat oven to 350 F.

Brown hamburger meat, add onion, celery, and garlic cook over medium heat until onions are soft.
 Add seasoning, add tomatoes stir thoroughly.

Layer in baking dish:
Half of the potatoes.



Half of the corn.



Half of the hamburger mixture. and Half of the cheese.  Repeat.

Cover tightly with foil.  Bake at 350 F for 1 hour 15 minutes.
 


 



I really liked this.  Reminded me of Hamburger Helper and scalloped potatoes.  My husband said, "It was a normal dinner, we could have it again, but maybe a smaller amount."  He doesn't understand how hard it is to make a smaller casserole, and frankly it's just too much trouble.   Maybe I should try to freeze part of this one and see how that goes?

Make sure Check out What Can I Eat That's Gluten Free?  And get more inspiration from some great gluten free bloggers!

8 comments:

Linda said...

That looks great. I haven't used potatoes like that in a casserole in a long time. I think it would work fine to freeze some of it for a quick and easy dinner another time.

We had Brussels sprouts tonight too.

Jen said...

This looks so yummy! I will have to make it. We like stuff like that in our house. :)

jessjokin said...

A good hearty dish that my boys would have a hard time needing MORE after :) Love it!

I can taste it now with my fresh garden tomatoes. MMMMMMmm! Here spring, here spring...

So is the green loving a reference to the color, the out of doors or "green living"? Are they mutually exclusive? Maybe no!


Too weird, my word verif. is GROPE

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

This sounds great. Never thought of layering sliced potatoes like that. I'll have to give it a try.

Brian said...

Looks like a great hearty dinner. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

Yum, that looks really good.
Thank-you for visiting my blog.
You can use whatever meat you want in the casserole recipe. I looked up the Road's End Organic Alfredo Sauce Mix and it said it has 200mg (8%)per serving. A serving equals 4tsp. I found it at Fred Meyer Nutrition Center. There was also a gravy mix.
I hope you have a great week.
Take Care,
Lisa

Wendy said...

jessjokin - greenie is kinda for all three, but mostly for living green. Or trying to....one step at a time.
And I love green so much I drive a Kiwi Green Honda Element! Ha!!

Heather - I had so many potatoes that were sprouting I had to do something and this really turned out well!

Lisa - thanks for looking that up for me! you are a doll!
glad I found your blog!

HOLT NOTES said...

Was trying to find a casserole dish similar to buffet potatoes that my celiac daughter can eat when I came across your recipe. Will definitely mark it to try when I see them next. Also - you mentioned making the casserole and then freezing some for later. Freezing potatoes is not always successful. They usually end up tasting mealy. Try using the Ore Ida hash browns for the potatoes or any of the gluten free Ore Ida offerings - since they start off frozen when you make your casserole, they always freeze just fine when the casserole is finished.