Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Quick Black Beans with Chicken and Rice

This post is a part of this weeks Gluten Free Wednesdays Carnival, hosted by Linda at the Gluten Free Homemaker.  Please make sure and check to see all the other recipes posted this week!


It ain't pretty, but it sure was good!


My husband kept talking about this stuff he kept making while he was single that had chicken, black bean soup, and rice.   So I attempted to recreate his memory last night.  He said he liked mine better, but of course he would.  (we did also eat a salad)

Here's how easy this was to make:

                                    Trader Joe's Latin Black Bean Soup 
1 large onion, chopped in small pieces
3 large cloves of chopped garlic
1 pound or so of chicken breast cut in to chuncks
1 can low sodium black beans
a couple of  Tablespoons of Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil

heat oil in skillet,
heat onions and garlic until onions are translucent
add chicken breast and brown a little on both sides
add black beans
cover with Trader Joe's Latin Black Bean Soup (or other GF Black Bean Soup)

This will not take the whole box of soup.  You will have left over soup for lunch tomorrow!
Simmer for at least 20 minutes.  The longer you simmer, the more the taste will infuse in the chicken.
I noticed the flavor of the soup mellowed after adding to the chicken mixture, you may want to spice it up a little.  Taste it a little, if needed add some cumin, and chile powder.

Now, let me tell you about this soup by itself.  If you like smooth black bean soup you will be very happy with this soup.  It has a very pleasant flavor with just a little kick, and I do mean a little, at the end.  It's gluten free, vegan and kosher.
I would give you more information about it but the box was accidentally thrown away, before I got all the information I wanted off of it.  I'd like to thank healthychow.com for the use of the photo.

If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.  
Just click on the appropriate Link in the right hand column.

3 comments:

firebear said...

looks good to me...
I make a similar dish once a month...
black beans are one of my favs..
thanks for sharing
Live Laugh and enjoy
Fire-Eyes

Linda said...

That looks like a healthy, hearty meal. Thanks for sharing it t Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

Brian said...

Looks aren't everything. It's sounds great. Thanks for the idea.