Saturday, July 17, 2010

Flax Seed Bread

Golden Flax Seed Bread
made from Kira's recipe at The Medicine Woman's Roots Blog.

This post is linked to Gluten Free Wednesday, be sure to check it out for many more GF recipes.

I'm always on the look out for a new Gluten Free Bread recipe that not only taste good but is good for you.  Most recipes use rice flour and frankly that just doesn't have very many vitamins and minerals.  I was looking up information about The Primal Blueprint book and diet because a friend of mine is on it and he is doing great!  He mentioned that it has no grains and no sugar so I was curious, and thought I might could get some good Gluten Free recipes since it has no grains.  While I was on The Primal Blueprint site I looked at their blog and Kira's recipe was mentioned.  I looked it up and it sounded great!  Plus the pictures from her site just made me want to eat it up!

This Photo is from the Medicine Woman's Roots Blog.
Please see Kira's site for her recipe for Golden Flax Seed Bread.

Kira's recipe is a little vague here and there, it looks like she cooks a lot like me, a little of this a little of that.  She doesn't say what temperature to cook this at, I cooked mine at 375F for 20 minutes and it came out perfect.  I didn't have a pan that fit this small amount perfectly, so I just mounded it up in the middle of a cake pan.  It's a small round load, it was about 1.5 inches high (maybe a little more, I didn't really measure it), and about 7 or 8 inches round.  If fit on a dinner plate with room left all the way around.

I decided to do a little change up of this recipe and make enough to make a regular loaf.   I added a little Quinoa flour to make it a little lighter.  I came up with a Flax Seed, Quinoa, Almond Gluten Free Bread.


Flaxseed, Quinoa, and Almond Bread

1 Cup Milled Flax Seed - I used Hodgson Mill's (they now have a large line of gluten free products)
2/3 Cup Blanched Almond Meal -  I use Honeyville, Elana*see note below about Elana (on her blog Elana's Pantry) recommended it for her recipes, and it is less expensive through them than buying it from the store.  Kira just says Almond Meal so you could probably use one that isn't Blanched.  They are much less expensive, Trader Joe's has a good one.
2/3 Cup Quinoa Flour
4 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
approx. 1/4 cup Olive Oil, Butter, or Unrefined Coconut Oil - I used Unrefined Coconut Oil this time, it depends on the flavor you want for your bread.  *note - save the Unrefined Coconut Oil for when you are making a sweet bread, this bread is great except it has a bit of a coconut flavor that makes it taste a little sweet.  This should be a brown sandwich type bread, so I should have used a different oil.
4 eggs
water to texture desired, just enough so that the batter pours in the pan thickly.  It took a little over 1/2 Cup of water for this recipe.  The more water you use the longer it will take to cook.

Mix dry ingredients together.  Gently beat eggs together before adding to dry mixture.  Add oil.  (I had my coconut oil in a mixing cup and added the eggs to mix together but the coldness of the eggs turned the oil solid, it was difficult to mix the solid oil in the batter.
Add water a little at a time until you get the desired consistency to pour thickly into your loaf pan.

I used a Pyrex loaf pan and lined it with parchment paper.  

I baked this at 375F for 40 minutes, until a toothpick or knife came out clean.
If you use a metal loaf pan it probably won't take as long.


I really like this bread!  Just one thing I would change, I used the Unrefined Coconut Oil in this loaf and I can really taste the coconut.  It also gives it a little bit of a sweet taste.  This would be good if I wanted a sweet loaf, maybe I could add some banana and/or apple, then this would be a good sweet bread.
However, when I'm not making a sweet bread I think I'll add a different oil, like Refined Coconut Oil (it doesn't have a distinct flavor, and has nearly no smell), Olive Oil, or Grape Seed Oil.

I do think I'd like to make variations on this bread.  Add some herbs and make it a savory bread.  Rosemary, Basil, Oregano, Chives... all of these would be good.
I think I could make a great roasted garlic loaf with the smaller recipe.  Just add some roasted garlic, a hard cheese (like Assiago, a good Parmesan, or maybe Manchego), and maybe some parsley.
As soon as I make it I'll post about it.

*Elana of Elana's Pantry, also wrote a cookbook titled The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook.  I have a copy and if you like the recipes on Elana's blog, you'll love her cookbook.  I saw today on iHerb.com that they have Elana's cookbook on sale for Half Price, only $8.50!  Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.iherb.com/Books-The-Gluten-Free-Almond-Flour-Cookbook-136-Page-Paper-Back-Book/22347?at=0

Incidentally, Shirley at Gluten Free Easily is giving away a $50 gift certificate to iHerb.com right now.
http://glutenfreeeasily.com/iherb-50-shopping-spree/ 

Shirley also made some of Kiva's bread on June 14th, you can read all about it at: http://glutenfreeeasily.com/golden-flax-bread-grainfree-gf/

1 comment:

Linda said...

Great job! I can't handle a lot of flax seed and I'm afraid I wouldn't do well with this, but I love how healthy it is and how you made a nice loaf.